[RC] Endurance News Cover Photo - Feb 2006/Young Riders - DVeritas

You know, for all the hoopla the AERC makes about wanting photos for the cover of EN of showing only helmeted riders with horses, I was surprised by the Feb 2006 cover photo.

I know enough about the Whelan family to know that they are wonderful horse folks and the following is not directed as anything "personal", but more a matter of safety, of observation.

The picture a quite loving moment between a horse and an eleven year old girl.  Upon looking at the photo, if the horse were spooked by anything behind it (enough to make it leap forward a stride or two), what might happen?
      Might the lead, through which Josie has her whole arm, tighten?  It appears to be a wet, flat lead rope which just might.
      Would her 15 y.o. gelding knock her down, react to the weight of her being dragged by truly bolting?

I ask these questions because (apparently) the AERC doesn't see anything wrong with showing (what appears to be) an innocent moment of a girl and her horse which, upon closer examination, portends something bad happening should the stars line up just right.

I know that the horse's _expression_ doesn't show any threat around him, just a horse assessing what's going on around him.
The rider is 11 years old, has almost 500 competitive miles and suffered no ill effects from the moment.
BUT,
How far should the AERC go in legislating safety?

Frank