From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of KimFue@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:16 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Interesting article on Spread of Weeds by Horses

Who Spreads the Weeds? Don't Bet on the Horse
Study of how nonnative plants invade parkland focuses on the long-held
notion that manure carries the seeds. So far, it looks like a myth.

By Andrew H. Malcolm, Times Staff Writer
January 20, 2006

Alien invaders

Public land managers are trying to stem the spread of invasive plants,
which are referred to as noxious weeds. Most of the weeds listed below
spread quickly and displace native vegetation.

Puncturevine (Tribulus terrestris), from Mediterranean region
Yellow star thistle (Centaurea solstitialis), from southern Europe.
Hydrilla (Hydrilla verticillata), from Eurasia
Diffuse knapweed (Centaurea diffusa), from southeast Eurasia
Gorse (Ulex europaeus), from Western Europe
Scotch broom (Cytisus scoparius), from southern Europe, northern Africa