Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] camping and generators Don't be haters - Truman Prevatt

One other thing the batter guy mentioned was the difference in design in a starting battery - the one in you truck and a deep cycle battery. A true deep cycle battery used solid lead plates. A SLI uses a large number of thin plates use a lead sponge - similar to a fine foam sponge. It's the larger - fewer number of plates in a flooded batter design results more impact from mechanical vibration.

The (Concord Lifeline) and (Interstate) Optium are what is know as AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat). The plates are housed in a fiberglass mesh and the acid is absorbed in the mesh - with little wet acid outside. For that reason they are called dry cell. In fact these can be shipped in the mail. They provide about 15 times the resistance to mechanical damage as a regular flooded battery.

In FL although we have a warranty of 60 months on SLI batteries - we seldom get over three. The summer heat gets them. When I moved down here and get my first truck battery from a local auto supply the guy told me to throw the paperwork in the glove box since although it was a 60 month battery - it would last about two Florida summers. In a study Interstate Batter pegged the average life of a car/turck battery at 30 months. This was an Interstate - a pretty good battery at that.

I would like to get my hands on an accelerometer and put it in the battery box on the trailer to see what it undergoes. I suspect that given most car truck batteries are near to being over the suspension and shocks of the front wheels that the vibration - especially the steady state vibration is less that in the trailer batter box which is between the shock absorbing axles of the trailer and the rear wheels of the truck. I also suspect the damping of steady state vibration is much better in the truck suspension than in the trailer.

These are a decent sites on batteries.

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#What%20is%20a%20Battery?

Truman

Sisu West Ranch wrote:

As far as road vibration killing them, the LSI battery in the truck is guaranteed for 60 to 72 months and gets about the same vibration etc.

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.