Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] camping and generators Don't be haters - Truman Prevatt

I haven't had a set of batteries that have lasted more than a year and 1/2. They would normally die on the way to the BSF ride and I would spend a couple hours in the parking lot of Wal Mart in Crossville, TN putting in new batteries.

I finally talked to a battery dealer - Batteries Plus - who turned me on the these batteries. He also pointed out there is a reason that most deep cycle batteries have a year warranty on them - they don't expect them to last much longer.

At the Shore to Shore on Thursday my wife called me - I was on the trail and wanted to know "how to start the generator." I knew I was in trouble. She got it charged but the batteries still showed a lot less reserve than they should when I got in - this is with both the generator and solar panel.

By the time we got to Jeannie Miller's on Saturday the suckers had internal shorts. I replaced them with the help of Larry. I suspect it is the trips up and down I75 in Georgia that do mine in ;-) . Of course I75 from FL to Michigan is pretty much the pits these days so I am sure that didn't help.

Next summer I'm going to check mine out and if there is any sign of degradation - replace them with either Optium or Lifeline. It's a pain in the butt to have them go out on the road and if they do you are stuck with what you can find. I used Optium and like them and Teddy Landcaster has been using Lifeline for a long time and swears by them.

There are small rubber disk designed to go under batteries and provide some shock absorption. That should also help.
Truman

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.