[RC] Ride Names - Aaron Turnage

The Square Nail actually replaced the Derby Ditch, which was held alongside a drainage ditch as I understand (I'm fairly new to the sport and missed this one).  It's called the Square Nail because these type of nails have been found out along the trail, an old stagecoach line.  From the Ride Brochure:
Cut nails (aka square nails):
Originally these nails were made individually by blacksmiths from square iron rods.  The rods were heated and the nailor would hammer all four sides of the softened end to form a point.  The rod was then inserted into a hole in a nail header form or an anvil to create a head with several blows of a hammer.  The blacksmith made these nails to augment his income when not doing work for customers.  In the 1790s and early 1800s machines were developed to make the cut nails.  Square nails do not split wood as readily as round nails.

I'm managing a ride this year, new ride for the West Region, called Nevada Moonshine, because well....  It's in Nevada and it's in the moonshine as it's a night ride under a full moon.  We'll also be giving a bottle of "Moonshine" as a special award.  =)

~ Crysta