[RC] Lions, tigers and bears, oh my! - Marmite1191

I would like to thank everyone for all the wonderful advice regarding staying safe from Mountain Lions on the trail. I did check out Dawn’s website (many thanks) and listened to the sounds that she had recorded. I would say that what we heard was more like a very loud purr, although the word makes it sound sweet, it was not. The first time we heard it my husband said it had to be thunder but when we were passing the fallen tree we heard it a second time and it definitely was located under the tree. There was quite a bit of commotion and rustling and a lot of birds flew up in the air. I guess on a quiet still evening in the valley sounds can be accentuated. My thought would be that he was settling down with his dinner and my horse definitely did not want to be dessert! There is no doubt in our minds that there was a large animal under that tree with a very loud rumbly voice!!  By the way I have spoken to the rangers and it turns out that they are well aware of the lions and indeed have had recent sitings of a mature male on that trail.

Linda