[RC] A real Shay Day - rides2far

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, so if you were inspired by
the story,
that's a good thing.

OK I suspected that when no parent stopped him from playing because he
"Wouldn't be covered by our insurance"...however...here's a very quick
*true* one for anyone who feels deceived.

My school has a student named Cale who suffered a stroke during birth. He
has one arm that's semi paralyzed and sort of drags a leg. He's a very
cheerful boy and wanted to play in our junior basketball league. The man
who runs the league is extremely competitive and pushes his sons hard to
be their best...however, he used his first "draft pick" to choose Cale.
Cale played in every game whether we were playing kids from our
neighborhood who understood or playing outsiders. I NEVER saw one kid on
our team, no matter how competitive, act as if it bothered him to have
Cale on our team.

When they run down the court Cale sort of does a skip hop. When he gets
down there they throw the ball to him as often as any of the other
players. He shoots one handed and is pretty accurate, but the other team
never guards him. It got to the point where Cale was so accurate I
worried that we were taking advantage of the other team's good nature but
then I saw something amazing. One of our best players started
intentionally evening things up. If the other team gave Cale an easy goal
and it put us ahead, he'd "accidentally" lose the ball back to them, etc.
It worked amazingly well. We still did our best to win and so did the
other team but Cale was factored in by both sides.  Only one time did I
see a player from another team seem to consider making fun of  Cale and
it became obvious pretty quick how fast our "stronger" players could give
him an attitude adjustment.

Cale now runs the camera for our high school basketball team. He's very
often distracted by the cheerleaders and is as likely to film them as the
game but the coach & team don't seem to mind.  This is the GOSPLE truth.
I've got to go now...Cale and I have a basketball game. :-)

Angie