[RC] re:girth - jen

Karen, or anyone who has any ideas????   I got my new aussie saddle and it came with a girth.  The problem is it's tiny.  It's 18" and I was just wondering if there is a reason for it to be so small.  It fits him but it looks so strange and I worry about the leather straps rubbing his sides.  It seems like most girths that I see go all the way up to the pad on both sides.  I can see that the short girth would keep him much cooler but won't it rub.  Could I use a girth cover tocover the leather?  Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
Jen and Banjo