[RC] Bare VS Shod: There must be a compromise - Fay Kelley

Title: Bare VS Shod: There must be a compromise
Karen Sullivan wrote:
  Turn your horses out on a huge area of rocky terrain for a year or so and you will
most likely see a fairly functional trim.

It is so rocky here in Flagstaff with large sharp rocks and dry weather than allowing my horse to gallop free in an area like that chipped up feet that did okay in a more sandy or cinder area here .... I was forced to get shoes because of the very bad rocks .... after a few shoeing the blood from stone bruising was very obvious during the trims.

  ... and we have NO pavement here that anyone can safely walk a horse on.   The only area I can safely canter my horse is the arena which has a deep small smooth cinder footing.

The forest road have some stretches of dirt but much of it is very rocky .... I can trot for some stretches but for much of it I have to walk or even go entirely off the road and try to find some grassy/pine needle areas to give him relief.

my horse is not doing well after the last shoeing and I am not sure what the problem is .... He appears to have very good feet but X-rayed with soles at .8 rather than 1.2.

HoofRite seemed to help the problem for a while til the last shoes on front and trim on back.   Now he acts sore and is tripping.   I do plan to take the shoes off while we have snow here ... but some winters we don't have much.

Suggestions?

--
Cheers,  Fay

Every day in Flagstaff is just another day in Paradise! ©
Fay S. Kelley    Cell  928.600.1733

"There are many paths to Enlightenment.  Be sure to take one with a heart."
   ~ Lao Tzu ~