Re: [RC] Bare VS Shod: There must be a compromise - steelsidedown

<<<<<<<<<<On a "regular" trim, the hoof sole is rasped flat to
accommodate the shoe, and most farriers will trim a barefoot horse the
same way.>>>>>>>>>>>>

What!?!?!??

Something is very wrong if you are able to rasp the SOLE.  The sole
should never be that low (close to the ground) the sole shouldn't be =
bearing any weight.  (yes, I do see this on occasion - on severely
foundered horses, nothing rideable)

A "regular trim" in my world, consists of nipping the extra hoof wall,
paring out the sole with a hoof knife, then rasping the hoof wall even
and balanced -- keeping a nice concave cup shape.  (Thus keeping weight
off the sole and onto the hoof wall and frog where it belongs.)  This is
the method whether adding shoes or not ....

Jen, BWFA certified farrier in VA