RE: [RC] [RC] Bare VS Shod: There must be a compromise - Karen Standefer

Well, I for one was not angry at all.  I just simply disagreed with your comments.  Specifically, this comment:

Something is very wrong if you are able to rasp the SOLE.  The sole
should never be that low (close to the ground) the sole shouldn't be =
bearing any weight.  (yes, I do see this on occasion - on severely
foundered horses, nothing rideable)

For 90% of the horses in pastures across the US, this just simply isn’t true.  The sole is an integral part of weight bearing, along with the frog and bars.  Even if you leave a “bead” of hoof wall in the toe area, on a barefoot horse, the hoof wall will simply sink into the deformable surface on which the horse is housed and allow the sole and frog to support most of the weight of the horse.  On a deformable surface, the sole becomes very concave and much deeper than hooves that are housed on rocky, hard, minimally deformable terrain.  In addition, on a deformable surface the horse needs more hoofwall for traction.  But, still, the hoof wall is not bearing the brunt of the horse’s weight………….the sole and frog are with support from the other structures.

Horses that live on rocky, hard, minimally deformable terrain will have flatter soles and no hoof wall touching the ground (studies from R. Bowker, G. Ovnicek, R. Redden) on the front hooves.  The hoof wall is basically “floated” from the abrasion of the rocky terrain.

Just my $.02

Karen