Re: [RC] Old Mac versus EasyBoots - Dream Weaver

At 12:41 PM 9/10/2006, Robert R wrote:
I have really enjoyed all the input. What prompted the original question is the fact that my horses travels miles and miles on hard surface roads. Right now, I have him in drill-tek shoes which I like very much for the traction but I do have concerns about the long term concussive effects. My hope is that boots will help alleviate that as much as possible without compromising traction. If I go with boots, he will be barefoot the rest of the time. Is what I am hoping to accomplish feasible or is there just really no escaping the long term problems of training on gravel and paved roadways. This has never generated any problems for him but I don't want to create issues down the road since he is only 8.

Robert -- the best way to find out is to give it a try.  If it works, stick with it and if not then try something else. We are all in search of finding not only what works, but what might (or not) work better for our horses.  You will also need to be willing to put in the effort required -- even after getting proficient and putting boots on I still allow myself ten minutes each morning at a ride to get four boots on, which I figure in the scheme of things is acceptable since I spent 12 hours or more getting to some rides, one way, nevermind the countless hours spent on everything else.  Other people won't find that acceptable.  I have read research that has shown that a bare hoof sends a lot less concussion up thru the hoof and the joints than a shod hoof does, and it's possible that having a boot on (either on a shod horse or unshod) reduces that concussion further.  I think it is reasonable to at least consider the possibility that long term a horse might benefit from having less concussion sent up thru it's hoof capsule and pastern joints if it is being used over gravel, hardpacked dirt, rocky trails and pavement.

Many endurance horses as they age (or maybe any working horse) get arthritis.  I know I can't be the only one wondering 'what if'?  What if I'd had the knowledge and products available ten years ago that we have now, how would or will that affect my horses today and tomorrow and years from now?  That is why I am always trying to find something better, or make something work better.   For me that is why the effort is worth it.

Karen