Re: [RC] RHR in youngsters - k s swigart

From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
learn a lot by doing a year of CTR. In FL many riders do both. Many
endurance riders start young horses in CTR's and skip LD's.

I think this is a great idea as I have always felt that novice horses
(and riders) learn more at a CTR than in an LD ride (although you CAN
treat and LD ride like a CTR if you want, you just aren't required to).
Out here in the west where the only CTR game in town is NATRC and there
aren't very many of them, many endurance riders start young horses at
multi-day rides and skip both LD's and one day 50's...for the same
reason, multi-day rides are a good place to teach/learn consistent
pacing and how to take care of yourself and your horse without much
having to worry about being run over by horses coming up behind.

However, if there were more NATRC rides, I would recommend them to
anybody who is wanting to start a horse in distance riding, just don't
expect to be very successful in "winning" them if you have a horse that
lies too far outside the norm.  Far outside the norm (i.e. odd) can do
well at endurance rides, but is not the horse of choice for NATRC.  The
AERC allows you to "manage" and accommodate the oddities of your horse,
NATRC is less accepting of this need.

kat
Jurassic Park

p.s. Please note that I have substituted normal for average and odd for
exceptional in the hopes that people will find the connotations of these
synonyms less offensive.