Re: [RC] RHR in youngsters - k s swigart

From: Sisu West Ranch <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>

That is indeed a very interesting horse.  If I read your post right, she
will drop to 44 after exercise and then speed up to 52.  I have never seen
that, but then as you say not all horses are usual.  I have often seen fat
and unconditioned horses I was evaluating for purchase with a 44 pulse.  I
would not worry to much about a 48 pulse on a never conditioned out of shape
prospect.  52 would give me cause to look carefully for the reason before
purchase.

She is little (~600 lbs) and has the metabolism of a hummingbird.

I do beg to differ with: "...seem to have some absurd requirements with
respect to HR..."

CTR is a different sport than endurance.  The horses are not exercised as
hard, and all the pulse parameters are taken after a standard amount of
recovery time. (10 minutes in UMECRA).  The pulse is being used as a
relative indication of care of conditioning, care of riding, and fatigue.

However, while they may be TRYING to measure level of condition, care in
riding, and fatigue, what they are really measuring is (by his own statement
later in the post)

a low natural resting heart rate and calm disposition.

Which is why _I_ consider the HR requirements in CTR to be absurd.  They aren't
measuring what they purport to be measuring.

Even on hot
humid days high placing  horses with lightweight (under 180 lbs) riders will
have a pulse between 36 and 44 bpm.  Heavyweight (180)  riders will have
horses with 40-48 bpm. pulse recoverys.  Since all endurance riders know
that weight doesn't really matter, I have no explanation of this.

What "all endurance riders" should know is not that weight doesn't matter but
that weight doesn't make any difference in the OUTCOME of endurance rides.
Since it is irrelevant at an endurance ride whether your horse "recovers" to 44
or to 48 (as they are both below the usual criteria of 60-64), the explanation
is that since HR is not a major determining factor in the outcome of endurance
rides, the effect of weight carried on HR isn't going to be a major determining
factor in the outcome of endurance rides.

And the reason I know that HR doesn't matter all that much in the outcome of
endurance rides is that my 600 lb horse with a RHR of 52 has no trouble
carrying a heavyweight rider to top ten finishes in endurance.  Of course, she
wouldn't stand a chance at a CTR.

CTR is not wrong, it is just a different game.

Indeed, a different game that measures different things.  But wrong to be
measuring level of condition, care in riding, and fatigue based on absolute HR
numbers.

However, I would also agree that there isn't any better way to "measure" these
things for all the horses that show up at a ride because there is, indeed, no
way to determine what is normal for an individual horse, so everybody gets
compared to some mythical average horse instead.

Perhaps the reason that there are horses that excel at one of these sports that
are unsuitable for the other is that CTR horses are rewarded for being average,
and endurance horses are more likely to excel (even) if they are exceptional.

kat
Jurassic Park