Re: [RC] RHR in youngsters - Sisu West Ranch

That is indeed a very interesting horse. If I read your post right, she will drop to 44 after exercise and then speed up to 52. I have never seen that, but then as you say not all horses are usual. I have often seen fat and unconditioned horses I was evaluating for purchase with a 44 pulse. I would not worry to much about a 48 pulse on a never conditioned out of shape prospect. 52 would give me cause to look carefully for the reason before purchase.

I do beg to differ with: "...seem to have some absurd requirements with respect to HR..."

CTR is a different sport than endurance. The horses are not exercised as hard, and all the pulse parameters are taken after a standard amount of recovery time. (10 minutes in UMECRA). The pulse is being used as a relative indication of care of conditioning, care of riding, and fatigue. Since everyone knows exactly what speed is required and where most if not all the checks are, a good rider rides just fast enough to allow the time to walk the last 2 miles (this is marked) into the vet check. Even on hot humid days high placing horses with lightweight (under 180 lbs) riders will have a pulse between 36 and 44 bpm. Heavyweight (180) riders will have horses with 40-48 bpm. pulse recoverys. Since all endurance riders know that weight doesn't really matter, I have no explanation of this.

Since nobody has figured out how to find out each horses true "resting" pulse, an arbitrary base figure is used and all pulse results above this have points deducted. Pulse at preliminary vet in can't be used because, among other reasons, it would be real easy to make sure a horse had an elevated pulse.

There is a saying that you can make an endurance horse, but a CTR horse is born. Those who are out for consistant high placings leading to top ten at the end of the year know that they must carefully select the CTR prospect for a low natural resting heart rate and calm disposition. CTR is just a different game. Many great CTR horses are only moderately good at endurance. The reverse is also true.

CTR is not wrong, it is just a different game.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875