Re: [RC] [RC] Bryce Canyon Ride and my Wierd Mare - Dawn Carrie

I'm with you and Dyane...sounds like a mental issue to me.  It sounds like she's playing games with you.  My 7 yr old gelding Bear does what I call "sport spooking" when he's either not in the mood to go out, or to go in a certain direction, or just in a mood, period.  LOL  He might be fine, then will start doing little mini spooks, or even just small jolts and hesitations at grass clumps, dirt clods, etc.  In other words, NOTHING.  He's usually quite solid.  When I've finally had enough, I'll swat him on the neck with my hand, and scold firmly, "Hey, knock that #$@% off!!" in a rather harsh tone of voice...invariably, he immediately quits and gets back to business.  Not sure what to do about your mare, but she does sound like she's doing something similar.  Perhaps trying some different trails might work, if you have the opportunity?

Dawn in East Texas
and Bear