Re: [RC] USEF, Tom Johnson & damaging speculation. - John Teeter

At 08:26 PM 6/20/2006, Dean A. Conti wrote:
John,

 Until either the USEF HP Committee or Tom Johnson supply more information in regards to this issue, damaging speculation can be the only result. Would it be possible for you to suggest a more enlightened path to the involved parties?

Dean
AERC, AERC International and FEI member

My understanding is that the USEF HP Committee is/was not privy to information that was the basis of the USEF personnel action.   Tom may know a bit, but it is unlikely that he will address this issue prior to the Aachen competition.

My suggestion as to an enlightened path (beyond following the marked trail:) is one which encourages transparency in operations/processes where at all possible.

It is (IMO) up to USEF management to provide any background information they deem appropriate which might explain their actions.  Personally, I know of nothing which might have instigated such a drastic  and untimely personnel change and would greatly appreciate some communication from USEF.

Maybe tomorrow USEF will announce more than  a new Chef d' Equipe,  also providing background, if possible, as to why such an action may have been taken.

Dean is right, damaging speculation (such as my earlier and rather spontaneous "bad hay" comment!) should be avoided and we should all encourage USEF to clarify the situation.

thanks Dean.

jt.

(p.s. there was a time, not long ago, where an action like this would have passed without much scrutiny, after all, there are only @22people now who are really directly affected - the 12 selected riders, the 6 alternates, and the 5 USEF staff members directly involved with the team.

(2 of the 5 USEF staff members must now be replaced (lost in the focused discussion of the Chef d' Equipe is the related resignation of the assistant Chef,  Jim Brown)

In the old days, USEF would have simply made the replacements and not much would be said. But now a broader "community of interest" is able to 1) be informed in a timely manner and; 2) begin to ask "why".

That changes things fairly significantly. Now, when decisions are made, part of the decision process needs to include the informed community of interest to insure that the damaging speculation mentioned by Dean is smothered by facts rather than fueled by rumors and innuendo)