[RC] Study on electrolyte/ulcers - rides2far

I was getting the impression that you HAD to e-lyte or you
would
get your horse in trouble

I can remember more than one ride where a new person was standing in a
vet check with a horse whose pulse was hanging saying, "What are
electrolytes?"  Everybody says, "imagine putting that dose in *your*
mouth. Well heck, imagine walking over to the salt block and biting off a
chunk and enjoying it. They do that too. I know that when I come in from
a loop the first thing I grab is my can of Pringles.  I don't eat a lot
of salty stuff on an average day, but can't get enough during a ride.  I
remember one of our better front running horses who would spit his
electrolytes out and the rider quit competing him because he kept getting
in trouble without them.

Don't assume that the only reason any of us do this is that everyone else
does. We're not such sheep.  If there's proof that electrolytes horses
have more digestive problems, etc. bring it on, but don't forget to weigh
it against problems caused by not electrolyting when there are problems.
I'm picturing that line up of 100's at the Biltmore ride. GORGEOUS horses
at the top of their form...and all full of electrolytes. I'm picturing my
horses dragging me around eating grass ravenously after a ride. They've
had a lot of electrolytes and it doesn't seem to stop them from eating.
No sign of upset stomachs, talking to me for their grain. If you don't
want to use them, fine, but the non-electrolyte people start to sound a
lot like the "no shoes" people. It's not a religion you know.

Angie