Re: [RC] Study on electrolyte/ulcers - Joe Long

I'd like to offer some more observations about the use of electrolytes.

First, I'm not suggesting that anyone do it the way I do just because that's how
I do it.  Every horse is different, weather conditions vary, trail difficulty
varies, pace varies.  All of this impacts the need for and optimal use of
electrolytes.

Second, I am a minimalist in my approach to this sport.  I believe in the KISS
principle (keep it simple, surely).

That said, here's how I currently use electrolytes:

1.  I do not use them at all at home, only at rides.  That may seem to go
against my often-stated principle that you don't ask the horse to do anything at
a ride that you haven't conditioned him for at home, but it doesn't.  The
objective in not using e-lytes in training is to condition the horse to be
stingy with the e-lytes in his system, to sweat less of them out and to use them
more efficiently.  You won't accomplish that by pumping him full of e-lytes at
training rides.  When I lived in the Southeast and many people rode their
training rides in the early morning or evening, I would train in the hottest
part of the day, without giving e-lytes.  I'm convinced that helped us at the
rides.

2.  I rarely give any pre-ride by syringe, although I will add some to his feed
that he can consume (or not) free choice the night before the ride.  I start at
the first vet check, one moderate dose each check.  Only on a 100 with a long
distance between checks do I give any on the trail.  (On the Big Horn 100 last
year there was only one spot where I planned to give him e-lytes between checks,
but alas, the people I was riding with didn't stop where Kat had set out my
stuff and I couldn't find the #&%# syringe ... so he didn't get them.)  Whether
I give any by syringe post-ride depends on how tough (and hot) the ride was,
although he has free choice available.  The most I will give by syringe
post-ride is one dose.

One more time:  YMMV.  Know your own horse's needs. But that includes not
letting anyone intimidate you into giving more than you think is right for your
horse.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx