Re: [RC] [RC] Study on electrolyte/ulcers - Sisu West Ranch

I started doing distance riding before the use of electrolytes was rampant. I also have crewed and thus had the ability to observe international competitions. The following are my conclusions. They are unscientific, and certainly not a religion, but for what they are worth here they are:

1. I have seen horses with the "thumps", but not thumpy horses that were being electrolyted. (I don't doubt that it happens, I just have not seen it)
2. I have seen lots of fast moving, international competitor's horses who obviously did not want the 'Lytes that were being shoved in their mouths. Did they have mouth ulcers? Did they have stomach ulcers? Did they have raw spots from a heavy handed rider jerking on their mouths? Were they not properly trained to be 'Lyted? I have no way of knowing.
3. We use 'Lytes in the way, and following the schedule below, and all of our horses take them readily.
4. I feel that they help my horses compete, but can not prove it.
5. I have successfully competed without using 'Lytes. They are not absolutely essential.
6. Oral 'Lytes will not prevent all problems.
7. All horses loose lots of water and electrlytes on a distance ride. It doesn't matter if the ride is hot, humid or hot, dry. I saw a horse thump during a snow storm, when ridden very hard.

Here is what we do:

1. Train the horses to accept, and like syringed stuff. For as many days as it takes, feed a syringe of the cheapest applesauce to the horse with the daily feed. Note: with rare exceptions all 'Lytes are in applesauce. This training, believe it or not, also makes worming, and feeding prescribed medicines really easy.
2. Encourage them to drink while being trailered. Feed one dose, in applesauce, 1 or 2 hours before leaving on trip. If the trip is long, feed another dose at noon, if and only if they are drinking.
3. Dose the night before the ride, and the morning of the ride. Note: they will be eating and drinking. (If not they don't, they don't go on the ride, but this has never happened)
4. At checks after they have drunk, feed a dose. We have never had a horse refuse to eat etc. because they were just 'Lyted.
5. If the vet checks are really far apart (like 25 miles), dose on the trail at a graze/drink break.
6. Dose after the ride.
7. Dose the next morning, before trailering.
8. Ranger for sure, and others perhaps, dose in a tapering manner for a couple of days after coming home. Ranger would regularly get mild colic symptoms a couple of days after a ride. Dosing after arriving home has eliminated this for 6 or 8 years.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875