RE: [RC] [RC] Study on electrolyte/ulcers - Juli Jakub

I would love to hear more on this topic as a newbie who is a little intimidated by the idea of e-lyting since I have never done it with my event horses except occasionally. I would hate to start doing something if it is going to cause ulcers in my horse.

From: KimFue@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Study on electrolyte/ulcers
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:53:33 EST

Last week I asked if there was any additional information on the correlation
with the use of electrolytes and ulcers. I know that this information was
discussed at the the convention and was a topic at the USEF training session in
AZ.

Does anyone know where I can get information on the studies that were used in
either presentation? I would really like to know what brand or formula of
electrolyte was used in the study AND what doses/frequency were administered.
It really set off alarms when I read that more frequent doses of e-lytes seemed
to cause more ulcers.

I would also like to know if adding buffers such as Maalox. Neighlox, etc.
that are used to prevent irritation to the mouth/gut mess can cause an imbalance
of certain ingredients in the electrolytes such as a calcium imbalance. I
would also like to know if adding an ingredients like applesauce or yogurt to
make e lytes more palatable may also act as a buffer to the gut or perhaps any
dilution, even water, would accomplish the same thing. I also wonder if adding
salt (electrolytes) to yogurt effects the probiotic effects that the yogurt
is supposed to give. Actually this question actually is for any probiotic that
is given in the mix of the electrolytes.

I realize that this is not as exciting a topic as some of the others that get
discussed on ridecamp but this is something that really does effect us as
endurance riders as many of us use electrolytes in competition. Even if nobody
want to discuss this topic, please e mail me with the information on where I
can find the quoted studies so I can read up on this on my own.

Thanks,
Kim Fuess
AERC #6648

kimfueataol.com