[RC] Study on electrolyte/ulcers - KimFue

Last week I asked if there was any additional information on the correlation with the use of electrolytes and ulcers.  I know that this information was discussed at the the convention and was a topic at the USEF training session in AZ.

Does anyone know where I can get information on the studies that were used in either presentation?  I would really like to know what brand or formula of electrolyte was used in the study AND what doses/frequency were administered.  It really set off alarms when I read that more frequent doses of e-lytes seemed to cause more ulcers.

I would also like to know if adding buffers such as Maalox. Neighlox, etc. that are used to prevent irritation to the mouth/gut mess can cause an imbalance of certain ingredients in the electrolytes such as a calcium imbalance.  I would also like to know if adding an ingredients like applesauce or yogurt to make e lytes more palatable may also act as a buffer to the gut or perhaps any dilution, even water, would accomplish the same thing.  I also wonder if adding salt (electrolytes) to yogurt effects the probiotic effects that the yogurt is supposed to give.  Actually this question actually is for any probiotic that is given in the mix of the electrolytes.

I realize that this is not as exciting a topic as some of the others that get discussed on ridecamp but this is something that really does effect us as endurance riders as many of us use electrolytes  in competition.   Even if nobody want to discuss this topic, please e mail me with the information on where I can find the quoted studies so I can read up on this on my own.

Thanks,
Kim Fuess
AERC #6648

kimfueataol.com