Re: [RC] LD/BC - Bruce Weary

Dear Peggy--
Thank you, thank you, for mentioning "horses being over ridden and crashing" in LD rides and that remedial measures have been taken to help prevent such from happening. All I'm really saying is that it can still happen to a novice in an LD, and that the temptation to go too fast can be inadvertantly encouraged by the fact that BC, a coveted, sought after award, uses ride time/placing in its calculation. As much as Heidi feels that the BC assessment method can be used to educate riders, the fact that a rider who miscalculates and overrides his horse, can thereby lose placings and congratulatory awards, doesn't really level the playing field. This "learning tool" means nothing to the overridden horse tied to the trailer, now susceptible to the possible metabolic and orthopedic consequences of being overridden. Oops. All while the rider is nursing a beer and kicking himself across basecamp for not having "placed better" due to the effect of finish line pulse criteria of LD's.
The LD/BC system isn't really a problem for the competent experienced rider who is truly prepared. The trouble is, entry forms don't screen for incompetency. ANYONE who can write a check and saddle a horse can throw their hat in the ring and risk a horse. All while the rest of the savvy riders are thinking to themselves "Not my problem. At least I know what I'M doing. Don't take away my chance to get an award just because a novice with bravado might get a horse in trouble."
What would be the harm of truly leveling the playing field and remove ride time as a factor of BC? If there really isn't any racing going on, as some have said here, who would miss the speed? Just do the distance within the allotted time and see how your horse measures up against those carrying heavier weights and riding slower. I'd love that as a heavyweight. Bruce Weary