Re: [RC] LD/BC - Truman Prevatt

Bruce Weary wrote:

Dear Peggy--
Thank you, thank you, for mentioning "horses being over ridden and crashing" in LD rides and that remedial measures have been taken to help prevent such from happening. All I'm really saying is that it can still happen to a novice in an LD, and that the temptation to go too fast can be inadvertantly encouraged by the fact that BC, a coveted, sought after award, uses ride time/placing in its calculation.

Any horse can crash. A horse ridden at the end of the pack by an experienced rider can crash. In the past 16 years I've been to a lot of rides and seen a lot of horses hooked up. I've seen plenty of 100 mile horses and plenty of 50 mile horses. I've been at two rides where horses died at the ride and one where the horse died at the clinic afterwards - all 50 mile horses. In the 16 years I've seen two LD horses treated. One was at a ride where it was 95 degrees and muggy in FL sand. The rider had ridden in the first endurane ride ever held in FL and was quite experienced. He just under estimated the conditions. A few liters of fluid and he was fine. The other LD horse treated was an experienced horse and experienced rider who too almost the whole time to do the LD. The horse recovered fine with some fluids.

Granted I don't get to every ride and may have missed a few. I missed the 100 mile ride where 7 of 56 or one out eight of the startes were on IV's. However, I get to a representative number and I have seen enough to fell confident that the percentage of treatments in both LD and longer distances are representative of what I have seen. From what I have seen the percentage of metabolic problems and treatments in LD's is much lower than in the longer distances.

I the SE we have probably more LD riders than any other region and I sure don't see the over abudance of treatments in LD compared to the longer distances.

Truman