Re: [RC] [RC] Wild Animal Encounters - Amber B Fort

My two most exciting wildlife encounters on horseback both involve a horse named 'Jerry' (two different horses).

The first was on my childhood friend and teacher, Jerry (walker/quarter mix gelding).  We went everywhere, which in our 'neck of the woods' included the canefields of South Florida.  Usually the dirt roads around them were about knee deep in lushious grass.  So we were cruising around one of the canefields, came around the corner and went about 10 feet.  All of a sudden, Jerry pulls a near full stand up rear and about face, never missing a beat.  Mid rear/turn, I see about a 12 foot gator (surprised as we) launching from his basking spot into the drainage canal.  Talk about a little excitement!  We were practically on top of him before Jerry spotted him and went to evasivie action.

The second involved my current JerryO (Arab stallion) when he was still fairly green broke on the trails.  We were riding with a friend around the parimeter of an orange grove when a deer bolted the opposite way down one of the rows.  She was probably 50 or 60 feet away when she first bolted.  I only caught a glimpse as I was quite busy trying to stay on a bolting rocket (aka JerryO).  It took me about 200 feet before I remembered to use 'whoa' and had already made plans to use the upcoming fence as a break (no where to turn going that fast). No of course, wildlife doesn't seam to startle him to much, but watch out for those pesky two legged critters!

Amber & David Fort
Knight Hawk Ranch
"Performance with out parameters"
Home to the Black Arabian stallions:
Kaysa Jerry (72% CMK)
Black Streak (Pure Polish)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=