[RC] temp studies in pads - Marlene Moss

Well, not sure if this post will make any sense, but here are some of my thoughts after reading some of the previous discussions.

I’ve been designing a couple things myself (a saddle pad and a shell for Impression Pad testing) and have been trying to figure out the best ways to test because I am the type that would not sell anything I didn’t use and believe in, nor would I make any claims that I wasn’t 100% confident in.  So I have had to make some decisions on when to use real world testing and when to use “lab” testing.  I could be 100% confident in my lab testing, but that doesn’t mean it always applies to the real world.

I do believe a testing range should go to extremes – but it shouldn’t be the entire test.  I was trying to make sure that the shell that I have designed for the Impression Pad wouldn’t reduce the heat transfer from the horse to the dough, or if it did sufficiently, that I would be able to tell people to ride for a bit longer.

I started my test in the house with a heating pad – on high.  As I waited for the temp to stabilize, it got awfully high – over 130 degrees and still climbing.  I decided that any data collected in that range was meaningless.  Who cares how fast a material allows heat transfer in a range that will never occur in the real world?  I don’t need to know how the shell would work in situations that would kill the horse.

So I do think lab testing is valuable because it can give very good information based upon single variables in a controlled situation.  But it is important that the scale be realistic.  And it still does become important to collect the real world data.  The Supracor (as has been described) would give completely different results static in a lab than it would with the constant motion of a horse allowing air to flow.  It could be that there are similar results for Equipedic and other pads.  Lab results can’t invalidate real world results all by itself.  It just has to be understood why there is a difference.

I haven’t read all the pages of the Equipedic site, but in looking at the heat comparison page I come up with the following questions:

1.  I am assuming that the heat source is applied to one side of the pad and the temp is measured on the other side?  So if less heat comes through one pad, doesn’t that mean that more heat is being held at the source?  I could be completely wrong on my assumption of the method of testing, but it wasn’t explained on the page.

2.  I suspect that any pad with a highly compressible foam will change its properties due to compression.  So I think the lab testing with a 20 pound weight is even more meaningless than the temp of 110 degrees.

Just my initial thoughts – because I am trying to figure out appropriate testing myself!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com (saddle fit for the horse in motion)

www.mossrockranch.com (sale horses and more)