[RC] Pigeon Fever - Sherman

Don wrote:
If the horse looked distressed or didn't eat well we gave 20cc penicillin 2x a day for 5 days but rotate the shots around the horse, neck lt, butt lt, neck rt, etc. Some swellings broke and drained some didn't.

We dealt with this about 5 or 6 yearss ago. Our vet recommended bute if horse was depressed, not eating, etc. Penicillin was NOT recommended as it can cause the infection to stay internal rather than abscess externally & drain properly. Hot compresses a couple/few times a day did help bring to head. Right before the abscess broke open, we started confining the horse in a 12X12 until draining stopped, then sterilized the area, bagged up all poop, hay etc & took to dumps. We haven't had another outbreak since.

You need to be careful about transferring bacteria via shoes, hands, halters, etc. We only had 1 of 4 horses that got it, so did not let them run together with it. Since I know of horses that've died from it, gotten the abscesses in their legs & were permanently lamed from it, there's no way I'd let horses without it run with horses with it, once it broke & started draining. And I sure wouldn't let the horse with the draining abscess have the run of our property, spreading the bacteria all over, setting myself up for another outbreak sometime in the future.

Good luck,
Kathy