[RC] hot shoeing - or not - Laura Hayes

Pauline wrote:>>Apart from opening or closing the shoe there is not much else you can do to it when it's cold... so if you want a really precise fit.. <<<

Well, in my experience, this is not necessarily true.  I can straighten branches, bend heels, point or square a toe, slightly roll a toe, bevel an edge....all cold with a good anvil.

Shaping the shoe correctly is not that hard - what I can not do cold, is add a bar (though I can arc weld one) or pull a clip.  In the last 20 years, most shoes can be bought out of the box with side or toe clips already in place.  If the horse needs a clip in a specific place due to a crack-then I can't do it out of the back of my truck- I admit that and give the owner the name of someone who can.

Most horses can be successfully cold shod by a good farrier in less time and for less cost than they can be hot shod.

I am very lucky in that I live close to a huge blacksmith supply business that stocks most shoes and will sell them out of the box by the pair if need be.  I guess if that were not available, it would be more prudent to make shoes than try to stock so many different kinds- especially since you might have to by a whole keg to get a few pairs of what you want.  In fact, this may have led to my dependence on keg shoes, not the development of my forging skills!! (Ah, the truth comes out!!)

Laura Hayes
Vine Cliff Farms
Brocton, NY
AERC# 2741