[RC] selling horses - nickiyoung

My husband wanted me to post this question to ridecamp.  This post is not to
try to sell a horse but is about buying or selling endurance horses in general.
We always have multiple horses for sale on our farm (with 40 horses on the
place it is hard not to!).  The majority of calls and emails we get from
endurance folks are from people wanting a 15+H gelding that has completed
several 50's with no issues - bonus if they have top tenned.  We have these for
sale, now for the problem, they want them for $1000-1500.  Saddly we don't have
those!!  What we do have are horses that are green broke with excellent
endurance bloodline (proven lines) in this price range.  They are not currently
conditioned and completing rides.  They need finishing and further training.
When we mention these horses to people they have no interest.  Since we are not
going to sell the horses that have already proven they can do 50s and even 100s
for $1000 - our question is this.....would endurance riders rather pay $1500
for a green prospect or would more people be willing to pay $3500 once we spend
a year conditioning and getting the horse through some rides and have proven
they are capable.  The particular horse in question is a 9 year old mare, very
well bred for endurance, broke to ride but has been a broodmare for the past
several years.  She has no issues other than being green.  We have 6 other
riding horses that are currently doing 50's and 100's and with both of us
having full time jobs we really don't have time to ride another.  My opinion is
that endurance folks are not going to pay enough to make it worth our while to
ride her to the point of taking her to some rides (I'd rather ride the others
that are already going).  My husband wants to start riding her (with all our
free time!) and see what we could get for her then.  We can sell her right now
as a broodmare or trail horse for $1000-1500.  We want to downsize and this is
one of the horses that needs to go so ...... do we sell her CHEAP as is or do
we condition her and try to sell her for enough more to make it worth feeding
her for the next 6-12 months?  I am as cheap as the next person but when I go
to look at a $1000-1500 horse I don't expect it to have done anything in
endurance.  I expect to have to condition and train and then find out what I
have.  If the horse was $1500 and had finished some 50's, I would wonder what
was wrong with it.  Nicki