Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 10:06 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Pigeon Fever

I had a horse with pigeon fever once. I have heard that some horses get it and some don?t, I guess it depends on their susceptibility to it. When my horse had it the vet opened up a couple of the abscesses and drained them into a cat box. I then burned the whole mess and kept burning everything that came out of her pen. I gave her the penicillin shots as well. None of my other horses got it and I have not had a horse get it since. I did hear that a year after I sold that horse she got it again. At the stable where my horses now a new owner just moved in with 3 horses and one of them came in with pigeon fever. I guess the owner didn?t know the horse had it and I think she said the abscess broke before she moved in. But that horse sure had a lot of swelling not only on his stomach, but in his sheath as well. I am really hoping my horses don?t get it. Fall is the absolute worst season for flies.

Linda

--
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!"

-- Unknown