[RC] Another lost shoe--AARGH--advice needed despite Ti's cautions... - Mary Krauss

Regardless of Ti's comments, I'm sick or worrying and theorizing and want some plain ol' experienced advice. We went YEARS without losing a shoe, now we've lost 8 in a single season--HELP. Today Bruiser lost another one, one week after being re-shod. He has great feet, never any damage, even from the lost shoes. Same farrier, same horse. What could be going on?? My farrier now winces when I call. He says he stays awake nights worrying about this horse's feet--he also says this horse is making him feel like an idiot! (Really good guy who goes home to read up on any new idea that comes his way, yet doesn't sprint toward every new fad either.) It doesn't help that he guarantees his shoeing so feels obliged to come out immediately and tack the shoe back on each time. I feel too guilty to call again.

The only thing that changed between the problem-free years and now is that he spent about 3 intervening years hanging out in a pasture and is only now returning to work. He's definitely too heavy. His saddle didn't fit which may have changed his gait, though, hopefully the better-fitting saddle should help that in that particular. He paddles and lands toed in a bit, but that's not new. Toe clips worry my farrier 'cuz he says they're really best used on horses whose feet are crumbly and hard to nail to, not necessarily horses that step on themselves. He says the ones that rip away a part of their hoof along with the clipped shoe are the ones with great feet like Bruiser who frequently step on themselves. I was going to try bell boots today but couldn't get the suckers on--must be too small. I guess I could try a larger pair next time out. I have a pair of Old Macs that I've been reluctant to try for more than a few minutes because they look absurd--I mean, I don't care about the fashion statement, but they look so huge that I have trouble believing he won't step on them even worse. Anyone used these much?

I'm running out of ideas. Anyone out there an experienced farrier? My guy will try anything sensible-sounding at this point. I keep hoping the answer lies in the shape of his foot or the length of the toe cuz I can't bear using extra equipment--though I will if that's what we have to do.

Thanks for listening. At least his feet are so great he doesn't suffer on these frequent shoeless return trips home....

Mary K.