Re: [RC] Stallions - Bette Lamore

I have four stallions now and 2 are in with each other and are very devoted-- mares are
not a problem-- yet when I put one of my other stallions in with the older one, he loves
him and is devoted to him EXCEPT when a mare comes to the edge of her pasture and goes
"yoo-hoo!" Then Mr. Macho (who was not raised by me and put in with the other
stallions as mine were) has to bite my older stallion and act studdy--- nothing even
remotely vicious-- just all for show-- so I separated him and now he is miserable and
contrite. Going to try him back with his buddy soon. Now that three year old Romanov is
as tall as five year old Riverdance, I can put them in together as well. Just can't have
mares right next to them or they become possessive. I have to say that Romanov is an
opportunist. Riverdance was breeding a mare and her head was towards the fence bordering
Romanov's pasture-- Romanov took the opportunity to snort in her nostrils and nibble her
neck. I guess she was getting the bes
t at both ends of the spectrum. At any rate, she seemed happy. :-)
You are right, though. Instinct is strong and although best friends usually, if
a mare is close and flaunting her wares, the best of friends can have a
skirmish and I cannot afford to support any more of my vet's kids through
college so I do have to separate some of them during breeding season.  Of
course, when the mares are done or pregnant, my stallion pastures are called
the gay caballero pastures ;-)
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

"Life is not  a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

Dyane Smith wrote:
Donna Coss wrote: > But if you have youngsters and let them always interact
with

other horses, they seem to develop  the social skills that allow them to
be comfortable around other horses.
 My pasture is about 5 acres in size and I stress again, they do not
have mares close up.

To be fair, some geldings (mine, for example) would not do well with one
another if there were mares close up.  No matter what, you need to read the
horse and work with him/her accordingly.

   The horse is a social animal!  It's whole life is about interacting with
other horses!   The cruelty to stallions in this world is one I hate to
dwell upon.  That they tolerate

such cruelty is a tribute to the horse and how they have adjusted to
mankind.   Every stallion deserves, at the very least a large, stall
with a run-out paddock, placed where he can interact and see all of the
horses.  Yes, this does mean a proper fense, but if he is worth anything
at all, that should not be a problem!

All horses need this, I think. The difference probably is that the stallions kept primarily for breeding purposes end up being thrown in stalls for days on end. Heidi or Char or someone could speak with more authority, but I have always heard that stallions are even more social than other horses. Maybe it's just they are more deprived.

Dyane