RE: [SPAM] [RC] pull codes - sandy . l . holder

Good info Heidi - thanks.  Yep, Tally was definitely grade 2 at Tevis.  Some people have said they sometimes 'resolve' things but not me, I pull.  American Justice though was 'looking around' so much and inconsistent on trotting out.  I wasn't so sure he was really 'lame' or just because he was too green (I always watch them as we're trotting).  In any event I asked some trusted friends and they said they saw something too (but he didn't do it every time or every other stride).  Doesn't matter though, if it was something, he should have been pulled, and if it wasn't something (he acts like a little kid on the back of a motorcycle looking every different direction all the time, feels like a wiggly worm), maybe it was something starting.  Either way, for me, better safe than sorry.  Unless already started, with tons of acreage for ponies to run around in, we don't really start our 'young ones' until they're way past 7 (one didn't have shoes or anyone really on his back until he was 10 - and he's the strongest one we have competing right now at 14).

Thanks again though for the clarification!  =+D
Sandy

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

09/22/2005 03:37 PM

Sandy L Holder/US/TLS/PwC@Americas-US
cc
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
RE: [SPAM] [RC]   pull codes

> Twice this past year, I've been "pulled".  The first was on American Justice.  He's my greenie (at 11 - yes, we start them late) and on his first ride, was slightly off at the 15 mile vet check.  Even though the vet said I could probably walk him the last 10 miles and still make the cut off, I chose to pull him (RO) because I didn't want to take a chance.  It ended up recorded as "Lame" even though I saw him write RO - but I really don't care because to me he was grade 2 and could have gone to grade 3.

If he was slightly off but passed the check, and you chose to pull him
anyway, then he is NOT an "RO" pull--he should have been listed as
RO-L.  If the vet at first wrote RO, then perhaps he realized later
that it wasn't really an RO pull.  And if he was Grade 2 (consistent)
then he really should be a Lame pull anyway.  Often vets will say
things like that to make you feel good about making the choice, but in
truth, it is still a lameness pull.

> Something similar happened at Tevis.  Funny thing is that when I got my vet card, you can see where someone crossed out the "grade 2" and hand wrote in (not the vets writing), "grade 3 - Lame" and it shows up as lame.

The vet's secretary, perhaps?

> Personally I don't care about either one of them showing up "Lame" but that's just me.  I guess there are some out there that really do.  The bigger question is, based on the discussion thread, is how does this information 'skew' the records?  I don't know but just thought I'd share another perspective.

Sounds like likely they were both lameness pulls and properly listed.

I'll give you a scenario from the ride I attended last weekend.  I
trotted my fellow out, and thought I saw something out of the corner of
my eye, but since I have a stiff neck and can't turn my head to watch, I
really couldn't see it.  Dr. Washington asked me if I saw anything.  I
told him what I just told you.  So he trotted the horse out for me to
watch.  When he came back, I said, "Yep, left front, consistent, Grade
2.  I'm not going on."  Is that a "RO" pull, since I "pulled" myself?
Heck, no--that's a lameness pull.  If I had been stubborn and asked for
a bazillion re-trots, it would have been just the same.  Being a realist
and "pulling" myself or being stubborn and making the vet do it does not
alter the horse's condition--nor does it alter the pull code.  (Not
equating this to your situation--just making an illustration.)

Heidi

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a Delaware limited liability partnership.