RE: [SPAM] [RC] pull codes - heidi

Twice this past year, I've been "pulled".  The first was on American Justice.
 He's my greenie (at 11 - yes, we start them late) and on his first ride, was
slightly off at the 15 mile vet check.  Even though the vet said I could
probably walk him the last 10 miles and still make the cut off, I chose to
pull him (RO) because I didn't want to take a chance.  It ended up recorded
as "Lame" even though I saw him write RO - but I really don't care because to
me he was grade 2 and could have gone to grade 3.

If he was slightly off but passed the check, and you chose to pull him
anyway, then he is NOT an "RO" pull--he should have been listed as
RO-L.  If the vet at first wrote RO, then perhaps he realized later
that it wasn't really an RO pull.  And if he was Grade 2 (consistent)
then he really should be a Lame pull anyway.  Often vets will say
things like that to make you feel good about making the choice, but in
truth, it is still a lameness pull.

Something similar happened at Tevis.  Funny thing is that when I got my vet
card, you can see where someone crossed out the "grade 2" and hand wrote in
(not the vets writing), "grade 3 - Lame" and it shows up as lame.

The vet's secretary, perhaps?

Personally I don't care about either one of them showing up "Lame" but that's
just me.  I guess there are some out there that really do.  The bigger
question is, based on the discussion thread, is how does this information
'skew' the records?  I don't know but just thought I'd share another
perspective.

Sounds like likely they were both lameness pulls and properly listed.

I'll give you a scenario from the ride I attended last weekend.  I
trotted my fellow out, and thought I saw something out of the corner of
my eye, but since I have a stiff neck and can't turn my head to watch, I
really couldn't see it.  Dr. Washington asked me if I saw anything.  I
told him what I just told you.  So he trotted the horse out for me to
watch.  When he came back, I said, "Yep, left front, consistent, Grade
2.  I'm not going on."  Is that a "RO" pull, since I "pulled" myself?
Heck, no--that's a lameness pull.  If I had been stubborn and asked for
a bazillion re-trots, it would have been just the same.  Being a realist
and "pulling" myself or being stubborn and making the vet do it does not
alter the horse's condition--nor does it alter the pull code.  (Not
equating this to your situation--just making an illustration.)

Heidi