[RC] Stifle Locking Been there done it - Roger Rittenhouse

Kris I would have gone direct but I only read online and do not receive the email address.
You can email me direct

I personally advise to NOT ever do the cutting of the liniment.. While things MAY go better at first, but the long term use will be very limited and the horse will be very lame in a few years.. Yes- I did extensive research on this- spoke with at least 4 Univ vets and followed my vets recommendation.
I did the ligament injections of iodine.. and he did the 'scaring' cuts with the needle. I did it two times over the past 4 years. He stopped locking the stifle.
However while he did very well for a number of years and miles, the real problem is CONFIRMATION..a straight stifle.. Nothing will fix that.. this procedure only helps the symptom.
Over time the bad confirmation of the stifle will cause joint issues of the stifle and hock. The horse never will be a good downhill ride. I always took it very easy with Omni on the downhills.. get off walk etc..on the up hill and flats we just rolled on.

After the years.. 8, and about 2000 miles mixed LD END NATRC, and ONE stifle joint injection, I decided that was enough. At 14 he is retired- way before his time.. He is a great pleasure trail horse and that is all we are doing now.
The fixes are short lived. You should plan on the liniment injections each year or at least every 2 years.. We did a series of 3 the first time - one month apart. We only did 2 the next time. The ligament tends to absorb the scar tissue we are building ( normal body action) We need to keep the ligament fat and tight so it will not slip up over the knee cap.. front of the stifle -troucainer ridge sp sp --Over time and use the locking starts again - nit as bad but there will be some locking.

Omni got 2 years on the first treatment. Did many LDs and a few 50 milers. Last year 04 we did it in Jan - he did another round of great LDs and 2 50's. This year we did the stifle joint injection to see if he would go better. He did. We have not been to any rides this year. I do not agree with many that continuous joint injections are acceptable for an endurance horse. There IS a difference between joint injections and ligament blisters.

He is doing OK and not on any drugs. I may give some MSM when we ride hard but thats it.

Omni was 9 when we diagnosed the problem.

Do the ligament iodine blister injections let him off for a week- start working on the flat.. he may be sore.. have to build the scar tissue. Then really ride hard UP HILL make him push OFF the rear to build the muscles in the gaskin. It will help stabilize the stifle.. Long range ride fast on the flat and up hill but always go slow and easy downhill.

Hope this helped
rr

--
Roger Rittenhouse Equine Performance Tech
888-216-6602 USA/CAN voice only 423-253-3882 Cell voice only

RE your post
Stifle treatment - Kris Hazelbaker

I have a 7 year old gelding with mild stifle problems – they “catch” going downhill, sometimes. I’ve had him x-rayed – and the vet found no bone cysts, so it does seem to be ligament related. At the time we did the x-rays, the vet layed out 2 treatment options – cutting the ligament or injecting it (causes thickening, and theoretically, less catching on the bone). Then he consulted with another vet at Washington State U. who recommended putting little cuts in the ligament that theoretically would thicken as they healed and result in less catching on the bone.

Anyone have any experience with that treatment? All the “theoretically” parts have me nervous. I like this horse. Uphills and levels are just fine for him, but you know, what goes up must come down, and downhills with a rider (right now) don’t work so well.

Kris in Idaho