Re: [RC] Stifle Locking Been there done it - Truman Prevatt

Roger Rittenhouse wrote:

Kris I would have gone direct but I only read online and do not receive the email address.
You can email me direct

I personally advise to NOT ever do the cutting of the liniment.. While things MAY go better at first, but the long term use will be very limited and the horse will be very lame in a few years.. Yes- I did extensive research on this- spoke with at least 4 Univ vets and followed my vets recommendation.

Roger how you doing?

Roger is absolutely correct. I good friend got his 6 year old son a horse. It was an Arab/QH cross a wonder horse. It was 3 yo when they got him. He would "catch" every once in a while. The vet suggeste to "cut it." They took his advice without much research. The young boy turns 8 and the horse 5 and they star doing endurance with dad. LD's turned into 50's and at a ride in about 2 years the horse got it's third pull in a roll for lameness at about 35 miles. The kid doesn't weight anything and is (even then ) a wonderful ride. He plays intercollegiate polo now at one of the better programs in the nation.

After this pull the vet looks over the horse - DJD in the stifle. Cause - the cut ligament for the quick fix when the horse was young.

For a well conformed horse, exercise will normally solve the problem but it may take some time. Whatever you do - don't cut.

Truman

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics