Re: [RC] Good Dog - Bette Lamore

I LOVED my Great Pyrenees who was a terrific family dog and would not let strangers on
the property without our consent (except for the UPS man who brought her
"cookies"-- in fact, she stowed away in his truck one time and he kept hearing
crunching and kept looking in the rear view and couldn't see anything-- finally he pulled
over and there she was crouched behind the seat popping her head out briefly to steal
more milk bones-- we had to search his truck every time after that before he could leave
:-) )
We just had to put her down last week-- she was 11 and in arthritic pain and
chronic ear infection-- middle ear --that no antibiotic could cure-- tried them
all- and she wouldn't have survived surgery-- broke my heart-- she is on my
picture page with the horses-- she is the one in the water tank :-) ).
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com/arabian_horse_pictures.html
Only thing with Pyres is that they are sooo good protecting the herd or flocks
from danger (we were the only ones in Cuyama that had cats as the coyotes ate
all the neighbor's cats) that they bark pretty incessantly and you might not be
real popular around the campfire at endurance rides-- well you might be OK at
the first campfire but certainly not popular by breakfast!!
But if you leave them at home, they get along with horses great-- never chase-
and walk the parameter of your property once AM and once PM and then perch on a
hill to watch over everything. They are truly wonderful!!! And always look like
great big white fluffy puppies-- even up to the end.
Good luck in your search!
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

"Life is not  a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

Diane Conklin wrote:
I lost my boxer of several years (Ramen) in late July. My plan is to find a new dog in the spring. I need some ideas for breeds that are really good around horses, grandkids and traveling to endurance rides. I know any breed as well as pound dogs can be good but I guess I just need to hear some success stories! Sure do miss my ole guy so I'm hoping by spring I'll be ready for someone new.

thanks,

Diane

Huntsville, MO