[RC] response to Diane re BoD - rides2far

But with AERC, all the record keeping costs just as much for each
family member as it does for the primary.<<<<<<\

Family memberships only include one issue of Endurance News. Many
additional "family" members don't compete or seldom compete. When AERC
was complaining that our numbers were too low for lobbying purposes I
suggested that the best way to double our numbers was for *all*
memberships be family memberships. As it is, I pay for myself and one
daughter. I could also join 2 more members who don't compete but would be
good for head counts. :-)

Diane wrote>>>Angie, is this true? BoD members are not allowed to
ask their constituents their opinions on pending issues?

Where the heck did THAT come from????

Not exactly. Here's what I see. If you're on one of the "lists" of the
AERC management, you get private posts about ideas they're tossing
around. You are expected to keep those confidential. The problem is, I
don't see any point when they become "unconfidential" before they become
"official policy".

If you don't hear about what has happened until after it's happened and
comment, you can expect the obligatory, "YOU run for the board", followed
by a list of the hardships board members face. It happens EVERY time. The
thing is, if I *did* run for the board, I don't know how I could do any
better because of the above problems. The board members have to follow
their own instincts after talking it over just with the other board
members...some of who have agendas of their own, form alliances, and can
make a person feel very unsure of their position on a matter. The thing
is, they can't say, "Well I asked my constituents about this and they
overwhelmingly disapproved". They can only go on what they think their
constituents would say *if* they'd warned them the issue was coming up,
and 3 or 4 other board members coming down hard on them can make them
pretty unsure of their position.

Laura is a director at large. So she represents me too. I voted for her.
If she had had a chance to write a post warning us that they were
considering upping fees and listed the reasons they were having to raise
them I would happily have sent her a private e-mail simply letting her
know whether I was for or against it. Then, as a representative she'd
have had my response and hopefully lots of others to consider before
casting her vote. However, I can't help but think she'd have been in the
dog house if she'd put that post out before the fact. How am I supposed
to sit down here and guess what might come up, then contact them? I
believe the board should possibly post the agenda, warn us what they're
going to debate and give us a chance to let our representative know how
we feel about it. They're not mind readers. If I were a board member and
made a decision that someone complained about, it would be very
reassuring to me to be able to say, "This is what my constituents asked
me to do".

Angie