RE: [RC] response to Diane re BoD - Jim Holland

As Angie puts it ***IF*** I were to run for the Board and were elected, I
wouldn't care a rats patootie about what the Board thinks is "appropriate"
to share with the membership.  I would represent my constituents, NOT the
BoD.  That's not their decision to make.  In fact, it may be illegal to do
that in private.  I'm a firm believer in "sunshine".

For example:

The SERA newsletter would get a short "From the Director" article from me
each month on important issues being considered by the board as well as
other information on trails, classes, grants, etc. that I feel are
appropriate. Want to know what's going on? Simply join SERA.

Any SE member, upon request, would be placed on a distribution list and get
the article above and other "updates" from me at times that I feel are
appropriate.

Included in BOTH of the above would be a list of all issues voted on by the
board, HOW I voted, WHY I voted that way, and soliciting confidential
feedback from the members in the SE, both positive and negative.

We already have an online "opinion survey" function on the SERA website.
That could easily be used to poll our membership on important issues.

Like our Senators and Congressmen, perhaps too many of our Board members
have been there so long they have forgotten that they were elected to
reflect the wishes of their constituents, not their own private agendas.

Perhaps term limits are something AERC should consider.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm
175 Hells Hollow Drive
Blue Ridge, Ga 30513
(706) 258-2830
www.threecreeksarabians.com
Callsign KI4BEN

Diane wrote>>>Angie, is this true? BoD members are not allowed to
ask their constituents their opinions on pending issues?

Where the heck did THAT come from????

Not exactly. Here's what I see. If you're on one of the "lists" of the
AERC management, you get private posts about ideas they're tossing
around. You are expected to keep those confidential. The problem is, I
don't see any point when they become "unconfidential" before they become
"official policy".

If you don't hear about what has happened until after it's happened and
comment, you can expect the obligatory, "YOU run for the board", followed
by a list of the hardships board members face. It happens EVERY time. The
thing is, if I *did* run for the board, I don't know how I could do any
better because of the above problems. The board members have to follow
their own instincts after talking it over just with the other board
members...some of who have agendas of their own, form alliances, and can
make a person feel very unsure of their position on a matter. The thing
is, they can't say, "Well I asked my constituents about this and they
overwhelmingly disapproved". They can only go on what they think their
constituents would say *if* they'd warned them the issue was coming up,
and 3 or 4 other board members coming down hard on them can make them
pretty unsure of their position.

Laura is a director at large. So she represents me too. I voted for her.
If she had had a chance to write a post warning us that they were
considering upping fees and listed the reasons they were having to raise
them I would happily have sent her a private e-mail simply letting her
know whether I was for or against it. Then, as a representative she'd
have had my response and hopefully lots of others to consider before
casting her vote. However, I can't help but think she'd have been in the
dog house if she'd put that post out before the fact. How am I supposed
to sit down here and guess what might come up, then contact them? I
believe the board should possibly post the agenda, warn us what they're
going to debate and give us a chance to let our representative know how
we feel about it. They're not mind readers. If I were a board member and
made a decision that someone complained about, it would be very
reassuring to me to be able to say, "This is what my constituents asked
me to do".

Angie