RE: [RC] Old mares and their foals - heidi

I'm curious about this too. My best broodmare is 18 now. This spring she had
the best and biggest foal she's ever had. My understanding is that as the
mare ages and the uterus has accomodated more foals, the foals get bigger in
utero because they have more room not less.

Chris and Jonni, I'll try to answer both of you in one post.

First of all, when comparing foals out of the same mare, it isn't about
"space."  "Space" is an issue when comparing a Shetland Pony mare to a
big roomy TB mare.  The baby out of a maiden mare has the same "space"
as his younger sibling 10 years later.

What it IS about is uterine circulation and the ability to transfer
nutrients across the placenta.  This CAN be an issue in maiden mares,
but not usually to a big extent, and it CAN be an issue in geriatric
mares, but certainly isn't always.

What happens sometimes in old mares is that they get thicker uterine
walls and a less-than-admirable endometrium (the lining of the uterus)
and all this makes it more difficult for nutrients to reach the foal.
There are some strategies that one can use in at-risk mares, including
giving more vitamins and minerals, feeding top-quality feeds, ensuring
that the mare has good dentition so her food is optimally chewed, and
adding MSM to the diet to help to improve uterine circulation.

I do have an example in my herd of a foal from a geriatric mare that is
a big improvement on the foal before, just due to nutritional changes.
Muferra (RT Muffin's mother) had her 17th foal at age 23.  He was badly
windswept, tall enough, but a bit on the scrawny side, and the mare was
not able to present the foal on her own--had to pull him.  Two years
later, she had a huge strapping filly, in good flesh, who is now a huge
and healthy mare.  I've not ridden her--she is one of the real queen
bees in my brood band--but you couldn't ask for a nicer mare.  Not only
was this mare not windswept at birth, her dam was able to have her
almost unassisted.

So in response to the original poster, I'd say that yes, there is more
risk of problems due to uterine environment in older mares, but the
odds are still in your favor, particularly if the mare has had good
care during the latter trimester of her pregnancy.

Heidi