[RC] To Steph - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti Tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey Tom - all of this really is based upon your personal values, what you
consider 'effective' (to what end) and whether being effective is even a
'good' thing. In some circles (e.g. International Relations) Ed's diplomacy
would be considered very effective, and probably a good thing. Perhaps if
one is engaged in illegal activity, being effective would be a bad (morally)
thing. Behind every fluff bunny is probably a very intelligent human, who
has become quite effective at finding ways to pass the time at a boring job.
It's supposed to be 107 degrees here today, I have to go ride - build up
that heat tolerance, push those heart rates up a little, trying to be in our
best form for Arabian Nights. I think there is almost as much art as there
is science in Endurance - when the rubber meets the road, its still about
pacing and dealing with the myriad issues that define a 100 mile
competition, and the more technical the course, the truer this is. An
optimally fit, genetically superior horse is the best place to start, with
an optimally fit rider, but 100 miles is still a very very long way...

Steph

(please don't deride me for babbling on with generalities, I'm effectively
procrastinating... it's hot out there)>

Ha! Me too--got a lot of synth/MIDI manuals to plow through.

My definition of "effective" was, and is, "gets the job done". So, some of your
observations are correct. If the job of a Russian Admiral was to loose 1000
ICBMs on the US, once his civilian bosses turn him loose (sorry, two looses in
one sentence is a precursor to plain lip-flapping), then Eds on both sides of
the diplomatic corps could be very effective in saving mankind--"nobody's
right, nobody's wrong, go back to sleep, Admiral".

If the job of a competitive endurance rider is defined as winning, with BC,
then a different mindset is necessary. If the goal is simply to show up, have a
good time, and not cripple or kill your ticket to the party, then, again,
another mindset gets the job done. In trying to sort the men from the boys, and
girls, I was assuming the first job description.

ti