Re: [RC] Old mares and their foals - Diane Trefethen

Jonni wrote:
Any thing to back the statement
Diane? Experience etc.?

First, memory played me wrong. My filly's dam was 27 not 25 (check out CR Rubys Gift @ allbreedpedigree.com - it's free). BTW, she is MY "one rat study". What's the name of the horse you rode with and how old did the owner say it's dam was and can we verify that?

Here are three of the reasons why I presumed the get of an older mare were more likely to have problems. In general, old mares are less active and thus stimulate the foal in utero less. Their blood's ability to deliver nutrients and oxygen declines. Loss of muscle tone causes the anus to sink in a bit and fecal matter can more easily enter the urinary and vaginal tract.*

The following apply to humans over 35 or 40 (why not a horse whose roughly equivalent to a 65 year old human?) and while the reproductive physiology of humans and horses is vastly different, they are both mammals and all mammals AGE. The quality of ova declines with age**; as humans age they have progressively more fetuses with chromosomal abnormalities***.

BTW, in searching for information to "back the statement", I came across this interesting tidbit:
http://sheknows.com/about/look/1022.htm
Men over age 40 were twice as likely to have a Down syndrome child than men less than 20 years old," notes Dr Fisch.
So perhaps I should amend my statement to include OLD stallions :)
_______________________

*http://www.vetreproservices.com/english/faqs/
Age as well as multiple pregnancies result in the loss of muscle tone in the perineum. These mares become prone to fecal contamination in the reproductive tract.

**http://www.ynhh.org/healthlink/womens/womens_1_01.html
The eggs women store in their ovaries age along with them, which can result in fertility problems or, once fertilized, can result in chromosomal damage as these eggs begin the process of cell division.

***
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=15550880&dopt=Citation
The rate of fetal chromosomal abnormalities was 7-fold higher in older gravidas.

http://lsir.la.psu.edu/workfam/delaykids.pdf
Chromosomal abnormalities in the fetus also increase with maternal age. In a
recent study, in the age group 35 and younger, 63.6 percent (7 of 11) had normal
fetal chromosome makeup; in the elder maternal age group, 35 and older, only 22
percent (9 of 41) had a normal fetal genetic makeup (Schmidt-Sarosi, 1998).