Re: [RC] 100s - Joe Long

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:07:58 -0700 (PDT), Zephyr Arabians <z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I suspect that fear of hurting one's horse (or one's
self) is a big hurdle to getting more people to ride
100s.  It's why I'm planning on trying a 75 first -- I
have an almost irrational fear of hurting my horse,
even though I know she's a whole lot tougher than I
am! For most people its probably quite difficult to
imagine that your horse IS actually ready to go that
far.  Those of you who have done 100s know how fit the
horse actually has to be, but if one has not done 100s
then the "is s/he ready?" question can really hold us
back. And, of course, the average rider doesn't have a
lot of conditioning time (work, commutes, family, etc)
so there is the nagging worry that not enough
conditioning has been done.  I know the accomplished
100 mile riders have these same challenges, but you
have now made it over the hump -- try to remember what
it might be like on the other side. :)

Don't be overly concerned about hurting your horse.  I believe you will be
amazed at how well the horses take to the 100-mile distance; just ride more
slowly than you would on a 50.  You can't know for sure if you have a 100-mile
horse until you try it, but a horse who can finish 50's in reasonable time (say,
eight hours or less riding time) and still have a good attitude is a good
candidate.

I didn't do any special conditioning to get Sanshra ready for his first 100 (or
Kahlil before him, for that matter).  The 50 mile rides we were doing were
enough.

Oh, and don't ask me at the end of a 50 if I want to
ride 100s.  :)

Don't worry, I won't!

Another thing that may amaze you is how you will feel at the 50-mile vet check
of a 100.  You won't feel anything like you do at the finish of a 50, you will
still be wound up and eager to go (and so, likely, will your horse).  About
elevators, though -- don't enter the 50 of a 50/100 elevator planning to
elevate.  Enter the 100 up front.  It gives you a whole different focus on the
event, and the psychology will be much better suited to your having that "eager
to go" feeling at the 50 mile point.  A lot of people decide not to elevate
because they focused on the 50-mile point as where they would decide, instead of
focusing on the 100 miles from the beginning.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx