Re: [RC] thank you, Angie - Truman Prevatt

Laurie Underwood wrote:

I think we may have lost the focus of Stagg's intent, which, if I
understood it correctly, was to ask the membership how we can increase
the number of 100 mile participants at rides.

The way I read Stagg's post is this involves the development of a strategic plan for the AERC and is bigger than 100s.

My way of supporting the 100 milers is to volunteer at rides that offer
100s, like Liberty Run.  To attend rides that have 100s, like
Hallelujah, and be there when the 100s come in off the trail and offer
crewing help.  To shout encouragement to the 100s as they come in and
off trail.

Good for you. That is what the ride managers need.

We've all seen Maggie Meiske's posts about her struggles to attract 100s
at the Wolverine Ride. If she offered only a 100, I suspect she would
have no ride.

I don't know what it will take to attract more 100 mile participants to
rides ... but I think we as a group should try to focus on that.

I don't think this is unusual. I remember a post from Randy Eiland last year listing the 100's where no riders showed up. I feel for Maggie. She's trying her damnest. But I've seen this happen before. My question to those that lament about the loss of 100's - why are you going up to do Maggie's ride? The depressing part is if you listened to all the banter on ridecamp and the AERC list - you would not be able to see how this could happen - but it does. It seems our perception is not in tune with reality when it comes to the 100's. I personally feel it is much bigger than 100's and it is much bigger than the AERC and has as much to do with social and demographic changes as it does with endurance riding. I have seen the same "attitude" developing in other areas over the past 15 years. People ranting about 100's, rabble rousing for more awards for 100's metals for 100's, etc. I think are missing the boat and I doublt very seriously if they will have any significant long term effect.

The current crop of people coming into the sport seem to have absolutely no interest in 100's. This is a big change from when I did my first ride 15 years ago. Until that change is understood and the reasons identified - any remedy basically has about the same change of working as a snowball surviving in Hell.

So my suggestion for the AERC BOD is to commission a study of the problem. Develop a survey to send to the newer riders and riders that have done 100's in the past but haven't done one in the past say 4 years. First of all find out why they are not doing 100's. If there is a few common threads, then you might be able to craft an incentive program. From where I sit all the approachs resemble a duck hurter pointing his gun up in the air and ripping off three rounds. You don't bring home many ducks that way.

Truman

--

“You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.” Malcolm X