Re: [RC] 100s - Zephyr Arabians

--- Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The current crop of people coming into the sport
seem to have absolutely no interest in 100's.

Well, after spending many years working up the nerve
to attend my first ride, I did LD for a short time (3
completions from 5 starts over two years -- getting
the kinks worked out I guess) and then started 50s
last year.     So, I think I fit into the "current
crop" right?

Anyway, when I first started I had the goal of riding
multidays, but not too much interest in 100s.  100s
were a vague "maybe someday" thing to me.  And Tevis,
in particular, was a "I'm not THAT crazy" thought.

I've since changed.  I still intend to ride multidays
(hope to make it to a 5-day later this year).  But,
the 100 mile goal has been added to my list.  The
horse I'm riding the most is a real candidate, as are
at least two of my other horses (one of which has
sired a 100 mile horse, but never had the chance to
compete himself).

I also met a rider at a recent ride who is just
getting started in the sport as well and she's hoping
to make it to Tevis next year.  And she plans to try
an "easier" 100 before then.  She has a definate 100
mile goal (and the horse to do it).  So, we're not
that rare if two of us just happened to be riding
along and bump into each other. :)

I suspect that fear of hurting one's horse (or one's
self) is a big hurdle to getting more people to ride
100s.  It's why I'm planning on trying a 75 first -- I
have an almost irrational fear of hurting my horse,
even though I know she's a whole lot tougher than I
am! For most people its probably quite difficult to
imagine that your horse IS actually ready to go that
far.  Those of you who have done 100s know how fit the
horse actually has to be, but if one has not done 100s
then the "is s/he ready?" question can really hold us
back. And, of course, the average rider doesn't have a
lot of conditioning time (work, commutes, family, etc)
so there is the nagging worry that not enough
conditioning has been done.  I know the accomplished
100 mile riders have these same challenges, but you
have now made it over the hump -- try to remember what
it might be like on the other side. :)

Oh, and don't ask me at the end of a 50 if I want to
ride 100s.  :)

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com