RE: [RC] 100 mile rides, their future, and the fuure of AERC - heidi

I didn't enter the LD to get a Tshirt, or points, or recognition.  It was my
feeling that few folks did, and it was pretty clear who they were.  And I
guese they probably enter alot of LDs that way.  And that is fine.  They are
probably the best at 25 mile rides.  When I was young I was a swimmer.  I
excelled in longer races, but was horrible at sprints.  The fact that sprints
were offered did not make me want to do them.  The fact that some people
really compete hard at the LD level has no effect on my perspective as a
newbie.  It does not make me want to "sprint" a 25 mile ride. The folks who
really are competitive at 25 miles probably don't want to do 50s.

I have to say, I stopped and watched with reverence as the 50 mile
frontrunner passed me on her way to the finish, and I felt humbled by that
moment.  She and her horse were where I only hope to go. That part was not
lost on me.  A year ago, I just saw a 25 ahead of me, Now, starting a new
green 5 year old, and having not yet done an LD on him, I still see 50s in
the future.  God knows what level of insanity I will arrive at next year.
However, if LDs were not offered, I would probably never make it to 50's. and
if 50s become the stepchild, well 100s become completely out of the question.
I can't yet speak to 75s, but I have a feeling they will sound more do-able
than 100s at some point.  Also, I love the idea of elevator rides.

Maybe there is room here for all of us, after all.

Eve, you've got it right.  You are seeing the LD for what it is supposed
to be--an opportunity to come and ride, either as an intro to the sport
or simply a way to be a part of the fun of it without doing 50s.  There
SHOULD be the reverence for those who go further.  And yes, there IS
room for all of us.  We just need to keep things in perspective, as you
have.

Heidi
(who has over 6000 AERC miles, but who so far this year has only been
able to complete 3 LDs, thanks to becoming ill on a 75, hurting my back
prior to a 50, and then taking a Christopher Reeves dismount and doing
product testing for the helmet company when my horse fell on another
50... <sigh>  But thank goodness for LD--I've done three with a new
junior, and will be doing more with her this year, and we're having a
ball.  We're both glad to have LD, and on both ends of the spectrum, we
both understand that the "main event" of the sport is something longer.)