[RC] thank you, Angie - rides2far

I can only speak for myself here.  I'm a relative newbie to this
sport,> I did my first ride in 2000.  I started in 25s, tried to move
up to
50s,> had virtually no success at 50s -- 1 completion out of 5 starts.

Laurie, I guess I'm being misunderstood partly because I am to some
extent responding to a post to a committee list that I am on about the
future of AERC and you all haven't seen that one. I didn't feel that it
was "secret" or anything but didn't feel I should publish his post to the
list. He can do that if he likes. The gist of what I was responding to
was the idea that shorter and shorter distances is what people *want*
thus AERC should give it to them, encourage them, and welcome them in.

I'm reminded of a segment I saw on a news show about a conservative
little country church in Oregon or somewhere where some hippies moved
into the neighborhood and they accepted them into their church as
members, then more moved in and they accepted them. Finally, the
newcomers had a majority, voted to change many of the bylaws of the
church totally taking it away from its original direction (a
non-Christian religion) and when the original members couldn't stand any
more they gave up and left. They had lost their building by letting
people who did not believe as they did become a voting majority so they
legall owned the building. That's my fear. Before long the people who had
the idea to do endurance will not "own the building".

Laurie, it's hard to explain my attitude towards LD. I *like* LD riders,
I *like* the ride being there. I would not want LD's to go away. When I
say that I don't want AERC to ENCOURAGE LD so much it's easier to say,
"She's anti-LD" but I absolutely am NOT. I am anti-glorification of LD.
As to your record with your horse in 50's. My second Arab, who was a
beauty and really covered the ground at home attempted 5 50's and was 0
for 5. This sport is not for every horse. If you're really attached to
that horse and would rather keep her and do LD, no problem...I'm just
saying you may not be the problem and the difference in you and those
doing 100's *may* be the willingness to find the right horse for that
job.  I thought the world had ended when I gave up on Jommeh, and then I
got Kaboot. What's that does that old Patty Loveless song say?, "I'd have
never found you, if he'd a wanted to stay...he hurt me bad, in a real
good way. :-))"

The next ride I go to I am taking along somewhere between 3-5 LD riders.
One is Bekki Crippen who will probably remain in LD, so thank God for LD,
and the others are new recruits who want to start *now* not 4 months from
now when their horses are ready for 50's. I'm glad LD is there for that
purpose. Old Ben Amil is 23 now. He can still out trot everybody but not
sure how much longer to ask him to do 50, so I'm glad LD will be there
for him. I hurt my back this week...I may end up glad LD is there for
*me*! And I can tell you when I do become a full time LD rider, I too
will stay up and work the 100 if there is one...and those poor souls will
have to listen to my stories about "back in the day". >g<  All I'm asking
is that LD not become the FOCUS of AERC...any more than the Atlanta
Braves shouldn't pay more money and attention promoting their single A
farm team than they do the guys in "the show".

Before anyone gets too upset at being the "step child" LD rider, think
past ridecamp. Picture being at an endurance ride. An LD rider can ride 2
1/2 hrs. for the lowest entry amount, get first pick at the T-shirt
sizes, have a dinner when its hot and lots of people around to cheer when
they pick up their top 10 award which is the same award given for the
longer distances. Then they pack up and leave to sleep in their own beds.
Meanwhile the 100 miler may ride for 22 hours, finish with nobody around.
They get the T-shirt sizes that are left over (lots of extra large) and
forget the dinner. It's long gone. They paid a lot more, for a 50/50
chance at a completion, but there are no year end awards for 100
milers...just LD & "Open". BUT, this is the sort of challenge the
founders of AERC had in mind when they chose their name.

I do not want AERC to "get rid of" LD and the people who do it. I just
wish they'd serve, and encourage, regardless of how low the numbers are,
the people who *want* to do 100's. What would make people *want* to?
Maybe being able to write about what a wonderful experience it is without
having everyone who feels that they *can't* do it attack you for
insinuating they're wimps. (referring to Joe's post, *not* your reply.
You're my friend. :-)

What I suggest is as simple as dog training..."stimulus & effect". I
suggest we reward the behavior we claim to value. Reward those who
attempt to do the longer distances. If you reward someone who does
shorter distances to such an extent that they are having to GIVE
SOMETHING UP to attempt longer. You are doing them a disservice and
robbing them of some of the greatest thrills in this sport.

Angie McGhee
AERC 7092

I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends.
I can win an argument on any topic. People know this and steer clear of
me at parties.
Often as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me.   Dave
Berry