RE: [RC] thank you, Angie - Laurie Underwood

I didn't take it from your post that you were *anti-LD* .... and I hope
no one else did either.  As an LD rider who doesn't know what doing a
100 is like, it would be fairly easy to dismiss my thoughts as the
ramblings of someone who's never been there, done that, so I took some
care to make it clear that I support the 100s.  The truth is that I will
likely never be one ... but heck, I can live vicariously through folks
like you who let me be a part of your ride.

I think Joe Long's post was misunderstood as well.  I never thought for
one minute that he was LD bashing ... but it did take me a while to
figure out what some of the veterans may really be trying to say:  that
there is a vast difference between 25 miles and 50 miles .... and an
equally vast difference between 50 miles and 100 miles.  And to compare
a 25 mile ride to a 100 mile ride is like comparing apples to potatoes.
But I think there may be a better way to express the sentiment.

I think you explained your attitude toward LD quite nicely. :o)  I've
never ever felt that anyone in the SE had a problem with LD riders.

I am quite attached to my horse ... so LD it is until she says "no mas".
After that, I don't know.  I can't envision selling her, and I can't
afford to board more than one ... but that's a few years down the road,
and there is no sense borrowing that trouble.

BTW, I have always thought that t-shirts, etc. were given out backwards,
and I think the order should be reversed.  Imagine Valerie Kanavy's face
the year she and Bearcat won the 100 at Vicki's ride and I handed her
the only completion prize left for the 100s:  A 2X fleece vest.  I
realize that the suspense comes from announcing bottom to top, and that
we should save the greatest applause for the winning rider ... but
golly!  Now Vicki gives out prizes which have no size limitations.
Whew!  As to dinner ... I remember in 1999 at Liberty Run, we took
plates to James and Ginny Agnew when they were doing the 100.  It was
the first ride I'd ever attended .... but it has never occurred to me
since that no one saves a plate for each 100 miler.

Laurie Underwood