RE: [AERCMembersForum] Re: [RC] 100 Mile One Day Rides - Jim Holland

Joe, I don’t think we NEED to fix it.  I am all FOR the extra points for a 100.  As you pointed out, I would just like to see more rides offer a distance between 50 and 100 to give riders a “smaller step” and maybe find out more about their horse (and maybe themselves) without worrying about a “crash and burn”.  I can attest to the fact that failure on that first 100, for whatever reason, is a somewhat traumatic experience, and you lose a lot of confidence and wonder if you should try again.  If I could have more 75’s first, ( I did one…Hallelujah) I would have had much more confidence, had the opportunity to learn more about my horse’s capabilities, (and mine) and been a lot better prepared when I DID attempt that first 100.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

From: AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Long
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 12:23 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AERCMembersForum] Re: [RC] 100 Mile One Day Rides

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 08:51:42 -0400, "Jim Holland" <lanconn@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hmmmmm...T, I don't agree.  I would like to see MORE rides, especially if
>that rides doesn't get enough participation in a 100 or offer only a 50,
>offer an "alternative" distance, such as a 75 or 80, perhaps including an
>elevator option. I see lots of advantages to a 75.

This is so true.  I have long wondered why we don't see more 75 mile rides, it
is an excellent distance.  I would rather have done a 75 with Sanshra before
attempting his first 100, but there were none available for me to ride.

I wonder if it isn't partly a case of unintended consequences?  One of the good
things the AERC did to try to promote 100 mile rides (as well as recognize the
level of achievement they represent) was to give them a 50% bonus in points.
But that makes a 100 mile ride worth so much more in points than a 75, that
maybe it's discouraging the 75's?  Just a thought, if that's true I don't know
how to fix it.