Re: [RC] 100 mile rides, their future, and the fuure of AERC - Joe Long

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:45:43 GMT, Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

The publications I have read on endurance riding suggest anywhere
up to 2 years of legging up, and a season of LDs before doing a 50,
then at least a full season  of 50s before attempting a 100.  What I
would like to get accross here is that for a newbie, looking at 100s
as the only real goal is overwhelming and offputting.  I don't have
4 years to give before I think I am having fun. *ok, I do realize that
these are extemes of taking it slow to get there, but still...*

Yes, the publications tend to be pretty conservative, and have good reasons for
that.  I believe that if you have a horse suited to distance riding, one year of
foundation (legging up) is plenty to start riding LD's (in most cases, a lot
less), and one or two LD's is plenty before riding a 50 at a slow pace.  It is
important to not go FAST on 50's until the horse has had a couple of years of
LD/endurance rides behind him.

I didn't enter the LD to get a Tshirt, or points, or recognition.  It was my
feeling that few folks did, and it was pretty clear who they were.  And I
guese they probably enter alot of LDs that way.  And that is fine.  They
are probably the best at 25 mile rides.  When I was young I was a
swimmer.  I excelled in longer races, but was horrible at sprints.  The
fact that sprints were offered did not make me want to do them.  The
fact that some people really compete hard at the LD level has no effect
on my perspective as a newbie.  It does not make me want to "sprint"
a 25 mile ride. The folks who really are competitive at 25 miles
probably don't want to do 50s.

You know, I've ridden in almost every Region of the AERC, some 30 States, and
I've yet to find one of those rides or Regions where they "disrespect" LD
riders.

I have to say, I stopped and watched with reverence as the 50 mile
frontrunner passed me on her way to the finish, and I felt humbled
by that moment.  She and her horse were where I only hope to go.
That part was not lost on me.  A year ago, I just saw a 25 ahead of
me, Now, starting a new green 5 year old, and having not yet done
an LD on him, I still see 50s in the future.  God knows what level
of insanity I will arrive at next year.

I posted on one of these forums a day or two ago about my first LD, where after
finishing I watched in awe as the front-running 50 milers raced in.  My thoughts
at that time were "Wow, I'll never be able to do that."  But it gets in your
blood, and we never stop learning what we can do.

However, if LDs were not
offered, I would probably never make it to 50's. and if 50s become
the stepchild, well 100s become completely out of the question.
I can't yet speak to 75s, but I have a feeling they will sound more
do-able than 100s at some point.  Also, I love the idea of elevator rides.

Maybe there is room here for all of us, after all.

The greatest strength of the AERC is that we have always accomodated and
recognized that we all ride for our own personal goals, and that those goals are
not the same for everyone.  Hell, they don't stay the same for most of us as we
gain experience in the rides!  I wish you the very best in wherever your future
takes you.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx